DMV/VERIFI Tip of the Week, #63
Transferring a Modified Truck in the VERIFI System.
A pickup truck with an unladen weight of over 6000lbs can be registered with passenger plates if it meets all the following criteria:
- Exclusively used for non-commercial purposes
- No business advertising is displayed on the vehicle
- The bed must be completely enclosed by a camper top which is permanently installed, with at least one side window
- Seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment is permanently mounted in the bed
Procedure requires that the body type on the registration be changed to suburban (SUBN). Using the “Edit Details” function in the Book of Registry, Dealers are permitted within VERIFI to change the body type to SUBN for modified pickup trucks over 6000 pounds.
For New Conversions Dealers Must:
- Submit a weight slip reflecting the increase in weight from the MCO or title document used to transfer the vehicle.
- Add a statement to the MV-82 stating “This vehicle has been permanently modified to enclose the bed by a camper top and has mounted seats/seat fittings or camping equipment.”